As a full-time freelance journalist, I produce and edit narrative, investigative and explanatory reporting in words, sounds and data. I’m also an intrepid project manager. I’m most drawn to coverage of human rights and economic/community development — especially solutions for overcoming generational poverty — and I’m open to assignments on a variety of topics.
Peruse the selected portfolio below, and contact me by phone or email to discuss your reporting, audio or data needs.
My reporting has been published by the Boston Globe, Montreal Gazette, US News, BBC.com, and magazines, newspapers and websites from Vermont to Australia.
- Head out on the highway, looking for investments / Boston Globe
- Red flags preceded fraud allegations at Jay Peak Resort / Boston Globe
- In Vermont, High-Speed Internet for All Gets More Likely / US News
- US farmers go ‘natural’ for profits / BBC News
- $150M settlement reached in Jay Peak fraud case / Montreal Gazette
- Journalists put ‘the public’ in public records / Investigative Reporting Workshop
- Jay Peak loses trust of first EB-5 investors / VTDigger
- Q Empire: The man behind the Northeast Kingdom’s biggest plan / VTDigger
- Community fears history will repeat itself at Q Burke / VTDigger
- Even after a near-miracle, Milne remains an outsider / VTDigger
- Analyst, economist weigh potential of IBM sale to Globalfoundries / VTDigger
- Analysis: What’s behind the state’s revenue downgrade / VTDigger
- Shumlin, Milne go head-to-head in debate / VTDigger
- Supreme Court union ruling ripples in Vermont VTDigger
- Despite Mandate, Traffic-Stop Race Data Remain Elusive in Vermont / Seven Days
From my days volunteering for a community radio station, I’ve built my audio portfolio over the past 15 years to include clips on NPR and the BBC World Service.
- Meet the cows going natural / BBC World Service, “The Food Chain”
- Authorities Dig Into The Dealings Of The Men Behind Jay Peak Resort / NPR, “All Things Considered”
- 50+ Years After Undefeated Season, ‘Bestwick Boys’ Rally Around Coach / NPR, “Only a Game”
- Rabies Season in Full Swing / NPR, “Here and Now”
- Unpredictable Access To Vermont Public Records Thwarts Civic Engagement / Vermont Public Radio
- Shumlin Administration Received Indication Of Alleged EB-5 Fraud In November 2014 / Vermont Public Radio
- Vermont Police Are Rarely De-Certified, Even For Crimes And Misconduct / Vermont Public Radio
- Debt For Vermont’s State IT Projects Outlasts The Technology / Vermont Public Radio
- Foreign Investors Left In Immigration Limbo As Officials Investigate EB-5 Fraud / Vermont Public Radio
- Lagging Health Connect Problems Have Created A Bottleneck For Medicaid Upgrades / Vermont Public Radio
- With A University In The Mix, Vermont State Colleges Consider A Name Change / Vermont Public Radio
In addition to data acquisition and analysis, I help newsrooms streamline and document their data processes. I work primarily in Excel and Google Sheets, turning to SQL for joins or high-volume data sets. I’ve also dabbled in Carto and GitHub, and I’ve used Tableau extensively.
- database consulting / WATT Global Media
- Tracking Trump’s Conflicts of Interest / Sunlight Foundation
- Vermont’s Lake Champlain Cleanup Plan, Explained / Vermont Public Radio
- Interactive School District Merger Map / Vermont Public Radio
- Huge Money, Small Oversight — IT projects in Vermont / Vermont Public Radio
- Shadow Budget / Vermont Public Radio
- Vermont state budget visualizations / VTDigger
- Vermont unemployment data / VTDigger
- Map: Vermont’s Best-Selling Liquor, Store by Store / Seven Days